Inside-Out Grilled Ham-and-Cheese Sandwiches
This edgy foodandwine.com recipe gives an interesting twist to the grilled cheese sandwich by sprinkling some cheese on the bread to result in a crispy, cheesy treat!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices of bakery Pullman bread
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced Swiss cheese, preferably Gruyère
- 8 ounces thinly sliced ham
- Dill pickle slices (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
Butter each slice of bread and sprinkle with Parmigiano, pressing to help it adhere. Invert the slices onto a work surface, cheese side down. Top 4 of the slices with the Swiss cheese, ham and pickles. Mix the mustard and preserves and spread on the remaining 4 slices of bread. Close the sandwiches and griddle over moderate heat, turning, until golden, crisp on the outside and melted inside, about 3 minutes. Cut in half and serve right away
Black Forest Ham and Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
This spin on the deli classic on chowhound.com incorporated creamy cheesy textures, sweet onions caramelized to perfection, and the smoky taste of black forest ham to give you a grilled cheese unique from the others!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick, 7-1/2-inch-long) slices light rye bread
- 2 ounces thinly sliced Cambozola cheese
- 2 tablespoons Basic Caramelized Onions
- 2 ounces thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Once the pan is warm, add a slice of bread buttered side down and top with the cheese, then onions, then ham. Close the sandwich with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Grilled Ham & Swiss with Avocado Mash
Any avocado lover such as myself can agree that some mashed up of those heavenly things on a sandwich adds a refreshing new taste. This recipe is perfect for any time of the year, so don’t be afraid to brighten up a rainy day with this treat or pull out the picnic basket for lunch in the park on a sunny day! Recipe by: missinthekitchen.com
- 2 avocados
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices Texas toast
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 9 oz. deli sliced black forest ham
- 6 oz. Swiss cheese, shredded
- Peel and seed avocados, setting one seed aside. In a medium size bowl, add sliced or chunked avocados, lime juice, mayo, garlic, salt and pepper. Smash with a fork until well combined and avocados are pretty smooth. Place reserved avocado seed in the center, this will keep it from turning brown. Set aside.
- Butter one side of each slice of Texas toast. On a hot griddle, place a slice of Texas toast butter side down, and layer a few slices of ham, about a tablespoon of avocado mash, then about 2 tablespoons of shredded Swiss cheese and top with another slice of Texas toast, butter side out. As the toast starts to brown, flip it over to brown the other side. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Perfect served along with a side of roasted potatoes, potato salad or chips!